- Produced by the clostridium botulinum bacteria responsible for relaxing the muscles.
- This substance weakens the muscles by suppressing the release of acetylcholine: the neurotransmitter responsible for triggering muscle contractions.
- Essentially, the botulinum toxins block the signals that would normally tell your muscles to contract.
- This mechanism laid the foundation for the development of the toxin as a therapeutic tool for facial spasm, blepharospasm and strabismus in the ’80s, and wrinkles and hyperhidrosis in the past few years.
- Most recently, it has been used to correct square jaw lines.
- Botox® is very safe, and it has been approved by the FDA.
How does Botox® work?
- Most wrinkles on the face are caused by muscles that are repeatedly over-contracted
during facial expressions.
- Botox® injected into these muscles blocks acetylcholine, which induces muscle constriction, temporarily weakening the facial muscles in the area and relaxing the skin’s surface, thereby “removing the wrinkle”.
- Since Botox® removes wrinkles by paralyzing particular muscles associated with specific facial expressions, there are no complications.
- Patients usually begin seeing results within 2-3 days; however, to appreciate the full impact of the injections, it takes about a week.
- Generally, patients getting their first Botox® treatment will find effectiveness will last approximately 4 – 8 months.
- A check-up may be scheduled one week after procedure, if there is no discomfort.
Am I a good candidate for Botox®?
Botox® is an effective treatment for individuals with over-developed jaw muscles. You are a good candidate if you can feel hard muscles behind your jaws when you look in the mirror and clench your teeth. We can guarantee 100% that your lower face will become oval. If your jawbone is square, usually your jawbone will have to be surgically cut. But strong jaw muscles play a role in the square appearance, too. Hence, if you are too scared to pursue surgical treatment, Botox® may be your best option to considerably improve your facial appearance. The results are usually very satisfying with a single Botox® injection, and a follow-up injection after 3-6 months for long lasting effects.
- uses only FDA approved Botox®
- treatments are quick, simple and virtually painless
- favors natural looking results, so that your friends and family will not notice you had something done
- invites you to wash your face, use makeup, and resume normal activities right after treatment
- has methods that do work on deep facial lines that cannot be eliminated with surgery or laser peeling
- has special methods for square jaw softening, to give you a more defined facial line
XEOMIN® (incobotulinumtoxinA) for injection, for intramuscular use, is a prescription medication that is injected into facial muscles for the temporary improvement in the appearance of moderate to severe glabellar lines (frown lines) in adult patients. XEOMIN® should be administered no more frequently than every three months.
Dysport is a prescription injection for temporary improvement in the look of moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows (glabellar lines) in adults less than 65 years of age.
- Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm Ultra XC, Juvederm Ultra Plus XC, Juvederm Volume Â Radiesse, Bellatero, Sculptra.
- Fill in and plump up creased and sunken areas of the face, naturally restoring a smoother, more youthful-looking appearance
- The underlying tissues that keep our skin looking youthful and plumped up begin to break down with age, often leaving laugh lines or facial creases over the areas where this muscle movement occurs.
- Injectable fillers may be used in conjunction with Botox® to maximize wrinkle removal when Botox® alone cannot resolve the problem.